Wanted: a new Chairperson for Amisfield!
Tucked away in dense woodland on the outskirts of Haddington in East Lothian lies Amisfield Walled Garden, an imposing 18th century garden that has been restored from an overgrown wilderness into a vibrant and welcoming community garden by a team of enthusiastic local volunteers.
We are looking for a volunteer Chair to lead the Amisfield Preservation Trust, the small charity that looks after the garden. The role involves working with our volunteer Board of Directors, Volunteer Coordinator and garden volunteers to ensure that the garden continues to play an important and much-loved role at the heart of the local community.
The qualities and experience we’re looking for in our new Chair are:
- An enthusiasm for gardening (whether amateur or professional)
- Great leadership skills
- A real sense of community, with great networks across the county or a willingness to create them
- Knowledge or experience of the voluntary/charitable sector
- Somebody comfortable with being the public face of the garden
- Somebody based locally in East Lothian
Chair Role Description
- Organising and Chairing monthly Amisfield Preservation Trust Board meetings
- Promoting good governance amongst fellow Board members and ensuring activity is in line with the garden’s charitable purposes
- Leading the Board in planning and coordinating a programme of garden developments and improvements
- Leading the Board in planning and coordinating a range of community events
- Working with fellow Board members to support and manage the garden’s employed Volunteer Manager
- Contributing to regular communications to the garden’s volunteers, supporters and stakeholders across email, the website and social media
- Being a key contact for the garden for stakeholders, funders and donors, including East Lothian Council
- Working with fellow Board members to compile applications for funding and collate impact reports to funders
- Representing the garden in the local media and with stakeholders across East Lothian
The Chair role will be for a term of three years, with an initial probationary period of six months. Interviews will be held during December 2023.
To express your interest in the role, to find out more or for an informal chat with one of our Board members, please contact us on email@example.com
To apply for the Chair position please send a CV and covering letter, explaining your suitability for the role and the skills and experience you would bring to it, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 30th November.